Alateen, a part of Al-Anon, is for young people whose lives have been affected by someone else's drinking. Every Alateen group needs an active, adult member of Al-Anon to serve as the Sponsor. The following questions may help you decide if you can say "yes" to Alateen sponsorship.
1. Are you looking for service work that is rewarding, loving and exciting? Yes No
2. Have you ever thought about helping Alateen? Yes No
3. Are you aware that sponsoring Alateen is a Twelfth-Step opportunity for you? Yes No
4. Is there an Alateen meeting in your town? Yes No
5. Have you thought of the teens who want help and can't get it because Alateen isn't available? Yes No
6. Can you make a commitment to be at an Alateen meeting every week for the next six months of a year? Yes No
7. Are you willing to meet with Alateen members to share with them, laugh with them, and sometimes cry? Yes No
8. Can you allow Alateens to conduct their own meeting without controlling or directing? Yes No
9. Can you listen with an open mind, giving Alateen members the freedom to express themselves? Yes No
10. Can you respect the anonymity of Alateen members by not discussing their comments with their parents or others? Yes No
11. Can you say no to inappropriate behavior and explain your reasoning while continuing to love them. Yes No
12.Can you suggest program tools (slogans, Steps, Traditions, books, pamphlets) and not give advice? Yes No
13. Do you know the difference between guidance and domination? Are you willing to learn? Yes No
14. Have you thought, if only you knew how to go about it, you would sponsor Alateen? Yes No
If you are an active Al-Anon member and willing to share your program, Alateen Sponsorship may be for you. If you are interested, make contact with your group representative, an Alateen Sponsor, an Alateen Coordinator, District Representative or Dallas Al-Anon Information Service Office at (214) 363-0416.
visitors since January, 2000. Modified 01/29/2007
Our website visitors can be assured that we do not gather any information about them, and that we place the highest value on their anonymity, confidentiality, and privacy.